Saturday, October 28, 2006

Really liking Windows Vista, but...


Gadgets. I think we need a better selection. Yea, they have the clocks and the calendars and the calculators and the CPU meters. I'm realizing that at the end of the day, the gadget sidebar is long and mostly empty when you are done filling it with what you actually want.


Mine has the clock, calendar, weather, and CPU items, shown below.  To fill in the void at the bottom I threw in a basic RSS feed.


What is a gadget's task? It should be simple, with no interaction required. Most of what the gadget does should simply be to passively convey information (such as a clock) or provide access (such as an RSS feed list).


Here is my initial thoughts on what I would want:


1) A Favorites list so I can quickly open a web page or hard drive location of interest. This may be my first gadget attempt.


2) Yahoo email integration. Hey, we have a Google gadget. Lets get yahoo in there. Show list of unread mail.


3) TIVO, baby. Get a Tivo gadget to show your box's to do list.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I assume users can cdreate their own Gadgets and that the idea is that a gadget ecosystem will evolve to provide extra functionality for more niche users.

You Gotta Be Kidding You said...

Yeah, there are a lot of them already. Someone made a nice itunes one.

Here is the list (you can browse it without using vista):

http://gallery.microsoft.com/default.aspx?l=1

I tried getting the development kit going, but Im running vista RC2 and it just seemed too beta to get me going.

-d

David Blackledge said...

Oh, so THAT'S why you wanted an API to the TiVo... I heard somebody already made a Google gadget for the TiVo Now Playing list... which is all you can see from the API. I don't have a link, though, sorry.